Why do I have recurrent rash under the foreskin?

i am having rash under the fireskin, docter suggested forcan 150 6 tabs for alternate days and asked me to apply nizral ointment then after ten days it slightly reduced and again i have the same problem. now suggest me what to do?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

The rash under the foreskin suggests that you are suffering from either :

1.) Balanitis
2.) Balanoposthitis
3.) Fungal infection

These conditions cause the inflammation of foreskin and head of the penis. It may happen due to poor hygiene or use of harsh soaps which has not been washed. Kindly don't worry as there nothing seems be serious.

You should be getting yourself examined by a Urologist so that he may examine you and run few tests like,

1.) Blood Work
2.) Urinalysis
3.) Skin Biopsy (if necessary)
4.) Microscopic examination of the discharge

Once confirmed, the treatment will depend upon the cause. Your Doctor may prescribe antibiotics, steroids, anti fungals and in severe cases may suggest circumcision if you are not circumcised.

It is easily controllable with medications and Good Personal hygiene.
Till that time, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Wear cotton clothes and use as mild soap like Cetaphil for cleaning the penis.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Maintain proper hygiene
2.) Avoid sexual contact with a stranger
3.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I Will be available to answer your Follow up Queries.

Follow-up: Why do I have recurrent rash under the foreskin? 2 days later

Thank you very much for valuable suggestion.

1. I have gone through the pictures on net about three reasons, after seeing them balanitis is my problem and what are the creams and medicines you suggest?

2. Second regarding lifestyle modifications.
a, I take bath two time a day.
b. I am not having sexual contact except my wife. And my wife also maintains good hygiene.

So pl suggest me accourdingly.

Thanking you

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

Balanitis needs broad spectrum antibiotics for treatment.

Since the problem is long standing, it is best to get a swab culture and sensitivity done to find the antibiotic most suitable for you.

After the test, you can get the relevant antibiotics pescribed from your urologist.

Till then application of hydrocortisone cream will help.

Regarding lifestyle changes, you only need to keep the area clean and have safe sex practices.

Wishing you an early recovery.