Why do I have painful bloating between periods?

Hi. a few years ago, I went to see my gyno because I was having painful bloating not associated with my period. She did a Pap test and also a procedure that started with an "L" where she took a wand with a camera on the end to check my uterus. She said that she did notice some lesions but they were nothing to worry about. She suggested that I may have IC or IBS. This has been ongoing for several years now. I have a new doctor and we are doing some more test. I have been having heavier periods with spotting in between. I get my painful bloating at least once a week. She is going to to a Uterine Biopsy and then an ultra sound. I don't think it's cancer but I am concerned about the lesions that was noticed a few years ago. Why would she have said it was nothing to worry about. I have been looking up symptoms and I could have fybroids or endometrious (spelling). Hoping it's not cancer but can't help to worry. Any suggestions or ideas? Some of my other symptoms are fatigue spotting between periods (mostly brown but do have some veiny red in mucos), pelvic pain and very painful bloating
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

First I would suggest that an ultrasound be done. A pap smear is also needed at this point if you haven't had one. If the pap test is significant,then a colposcpy should be done to confirm abnormal cells in the uterine.

At your age, 2 main causes need to be ruled out.
1.Endometrial cancer
2.Cervical cancer.

For the first, and ultrasound and then,a D&C needs to be done. The sample is sent for pathology and if there is any malignancy,its treated accordingly.

For the second, the pap and the colposcpy are enough for diangnosis.

If both are ruled out,then othere causes that present like yours are fibroids ,adenomyosis,endometriosis.

All are treatable and the ultrasound will help in the diagnosis.

From what you have said you are due to have the biopsy and the usg.
The lesions seen on your cervix could be due to infection also that why a pap should be repeated.Proper follow up is required.

Carry on with the line of management you are getting but do talk with your doctor about the pap if it hasn't been done.

Hope this answer is informative and adequate. Should you have any more concerns, I am available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Why do I have painful bloating between periods? 23 hours later
Thank you very much for your response. I did have a pap test done two weeks ago when we scheduled these other appointments. Test was normal and she even had done some cultures which were fine too. If for some reason I do have endometrial cancer, the fact that my pap was normal, does this mean I would still be at a stage one? Or does it spread to other areas first, or would the pap not be able to tell. Thanks again for your help!
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 14 minutes later
Hi again,

The pap will not be able to tell whether you have endometrial cancer.

Only a endometrial biospy can confirm that. If your pap is normal the cervical cancer can be ruled out. Now an ultrasound and and the endometrial biopsy need to be done. Both these tests can help determine endometrial cancer,fibroids etc.

Hope this is useful and informative.

Wish you good health.