Why do I have pain in the veins of my left hand below my elbow?

I experience pain in my veins in my left hand below my elbow joint. The pain mainly happens in a couple of veins, one near the wrist that runs right up to the base of the middle finger, and the other that runs from my elbow joint towards the wrist (which pains mainly when I rest my hand on a table and it comes into contact with the surface).
I have had this pain for some years now and remember starting to get them when I was around 18 years old(now I am 35). I suspect it could be related to a XXXXXXX cut that I had suffered when I was a kid near my elbow joint and had lost a lot of blood possibly due to a cut vein. That wound had subsequently healed(I still have the wound mark), but I guess the vein that got cut did not re-join at all and probably my blood flow is a bit constrained due to a vein that doesn't carry the blood.

Due to the above issue, my left hand is in general weaker compared to my right hand and I feel somewhat constrained using it due to the pain. Also, many times in a day I feel like cracking my knuckles of my left hand as it seems to relieve me of some pain whenever it pops.

Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later
Dear Sampath,thanks for posting your query.

Thanks for the detailed history.Normally after any injury the blood vessel is partially cut means some part of it is always in connection to other, in case of minor injuries.This veins heals readily and without any problem in most of the cases.There by it is possible that your current problem may not have to anything with the past injury.

As far as pain is concerned as per your complain you are getting pain in veins(veins means the superficial vessels seen over skin).The commonest reason for this is some infection or repeated minor trauma which leads to inflammation(increase blood supply and swelling in the area) and pain.When ever there is pressure it leads to pain.

The other reason could be skin above it,which has become sensitive so that any contact gives rise to pain.

In any case there could be no weakness in hand muscles due to this.Weakness in left hand may be different issue and has nothing to do with pain in veins.Some local muscular swelling or stretching of nerve in that area could be the reason for this.

Cracking in knuckles is common to all,as all the joint contains fluid,which when shifts gives rise to crackles.

The best thing you need to do is,visit an orthopedic surgeon in your city,who will do complete assessment of blood supply as well as nerves of that hand.In my opinion you do not have any major problem and the doctor will give you some medicines after the examination and you will be fine.

In mean time,you can apply ice packs to the painful area,try to avoid repeated injury and too much of pressure on it.Any local analgesic cream will also help for some time.

I hope your query is taken care of,still if you have something more to ask,I will be available for follow up.