Why do I have pain in my limbs and shortness of breath?

I have had a pain in my left arm (upper by shoulder joint) for a few days. Now I have a pain in my jaw in the joint by the ear. None of this is severe. I have had a little shortness of breath for about six months. I told the doctor about the minor shortness of breath and he scheduled a chest x-ray which turned out normal so I don't think I have heart problem or lung cancer. I am a 79 year old femaile.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 35 minutes later

Thanks for the Query.

I Would like to know few things here, so that i can suggest you better:

1.) What is your Height and Weight?
2.) Since how many days are you Experiencing this pain?
3.) Does shortness of breath increase on exertion or while resting?
4.) Since how long are you Hypertensive and on it's medications?
5.) Are you Diabetic?
6.) How do you Describe the Arm and Jaw pain?
7.) Did you sustain any Injury?

Your History suggests you have either:

1.) Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
2.) Cervical Spondylosis
3.) Herniated Disc

These have to be ruled out.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Orthopedist and a Cardiologist.

Orthopaedician will examine you and order a Shoulder Joint and Neck X-Ray to rule out Cervical Spondylosis and Herniated Disc and Cardiologist will examine you and Order a EKG and Tread Mill Test (TMT) to rule out if you have Coronary Artery Disease (CAD).

Considering your Age and Risk Factor, Kindly do not delay and see your specialists at the earliest as treatment will depend upon the cause and your treating Doctor will know better.

The earlier the treatment, better the Prognosis. Don't panic and just relax as it is not uncommon.

Bring in some lifestyle changes:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism
3.) Avoid stress and Practice relaxation techniques like yoga and Meditation
4.) Exercise regularly for an hour and maintain a healthy weight
5.) Learn more about your conditions as it will help you stick to your treatment plan and will help you understand your situation better
6.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I Will be available to answer your follow up Queries

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.
Follow-up: Why do I have pain in my limbs and shortness of breath? 7 hours later
Dear Doctor,

In answer to the questions re your reply:
1. 5'9" ht. about 188 lbs.
2. The arm pain has been for about 3 or 4 weeks. Upper jaw a couple days.
3. The shortness of breath is after exertion--mowing lawn, walking a mile--not alaming but definite change from about six months ago.
4. Been on the Triam med for a couple years at least and a lesser mg of the bystolic but doctor increased the dosage on it a month ago based on elevated BP
5. not diabetic.
6. Pain is like problem with a muscle. Not sharp and can definitely deal with it...just didn't know what it might indicate.
7. Can't read my scribbling on last question but I started it with a no something.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 10 hours later
Hi CA Marks,

Thank you for Writing back.

You are a Overweight. Since you say that the Pain increases on Exertion, it points to Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) you should definitely be seeing a Cardiologist so that he may examine and take EKG and Tread Mill Test (TMT) to confirm whether it is CAD or something else.

Kindly do not delay and follow the Lifestyle changes which i had suggested to you earlier. Once confirmed, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up. Avoid any kind of exertion and get adequate rest.

Wish you Very Good Health.

Take Care.