Why do I have numbness of arms and muscle pain?

right arm goes numb below elbow into hand also includes heavyness, muscle pain then a red rash appears which is smooth has lasted 14 hours inside arm feels very warm outside feels normal temp
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The numbness of the hand and elbow, heaviness, muscle pain etc all your symptoms are suggestive of neural cause mainly due to a nerve compression or edema of the surrounding tissue.

I would like to know some more details on your problem to be specific in my opinion , like:
1. What were you doing when the above symptoms occured, the position of the arm?
2. Is there any history of any injury around your elbow or in the armpit?
2. Do you have any pain in the neck muscles?
3. Is the muscle pain associated with a specific movement or it is a constant pain?

The superficial nerve involvement causes the redness and heat due to the peripheral vasodilatation caused.

The management of the symptoms depends on the cause of nerve compression whether it is due to injury or any other reason.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Why do I have numbness of arms and muscle pain? 12 minutes later
Was sleeping work up last night with chest pain that went away then pain in right arm below elbow to hand red smooth rash. No injury to arm or armpit or over use of arm. No neck pain. Muscle sore like over worked feels heavy when trying to use. Pain is when moving arm trying to lift things sometimes just falls out of hand. can this be serious?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

It does seem to be serious though the symptoms you have told are more suggestive of a nerve injury involving the tendon. You should avoid the movements that cause you pain atleast in the initial 2 days. A proper examination of the arm by a primary with a prior appointment is better to check for level of lesion.

Meanwhile for symptomatic relief, you can use pain killer sprays available over the counter. You may use Vitamin supplements like Methylcobalamin which you can get speaking to the pharmacist.

Wish you an early recovery.