Why do I have nagging pain near my rectum?

hi,i am 75years old and had a permanent colostamy in 1985,the last 4weeks i have had a throbbing nagging feeling and feel like i need to use my rectum.i have no problems when i stand and walk and it stops after i have slept,thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 36 minutes later

It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better, if you could answer some of these questions:

1) What was the medical reason for undergoing colostomy ?

2) What was the level of colon where colostomy was done i.e. at ascending, transverse or
descending colon?

3)     Was the remaining colon, rectum and anus removed?

4)     Was the anal hole stitched up?

5)     Are there any other associated symptoms?

Please get back with these answers so that I can help you in a better way.

Awaiting for your reply.

Wishing you a good health.

Take care and regards,

Follow-up: Why do I have nagging pain near my rectum? 1 hour later
cancer of the colon, descending i think, the anus was stiched up and i have never had a problem, i am passing my urine with no problem i am in good health and active,thank you for your prompt reply XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Why do I have nagging pain near my rectum? 6 hours later
hello dr XXXXXXX 1colon cancer 2just up my back passage 3yes 4yes 5no thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Since the remaining colon and rectum were removed after the permanent colostomy and the anal hole stitched up, two possibilities can cause such type of nagging pain.

The first possibility is of adhesion formation at the site of surgery. Adhesions can form on any surface in the pelvic region and abdomen after surgery and basically are XXXXXXX scars formed during healing process after surgery or strand like fibrous tissue that form an abnormal bond between two parts of the body after surgery. This may cause pain, tenderness in the area and a feeling of constant pressure or heaviness. You need a CT scan and MRI of the area to confirm the diagnosis.

Secondly, since you had cancer of the colon so any metastasis to the surrounding area also should be ruled out.

Please get a through examination and the above mentioned investigations done from your surgeon.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you a good health.