Why do I have inverted nipples and yellow crusty layer inside nipples post pregnancy ?

Hi i m 26 years old, i had a baby 6 months ago I stoped breast feeding when my baby was 2 weeks old. Before i fell Pregnant my left nipple was always inverted for the past few years.. Once i fell pregnant it came out and stayed out during the whole pregnancy. Since i ve stopped breast feeding, now both my nipples are Inverted and everyday i have yellow crusty stuff forming inside my nipples Is this just something you get form breast feeding?? Or should i Be worried??
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

Thanks for your query,

The commonest cause for an asymptomatic ( no other problems like pain , breast enlargement , discharge ) inverted nipples are Short Ducts ,Wide Areola Muscle Sphincter or trauma.

In either of the above casues the nipple can get normal during lactation where the breast gets full with glands and the ducts with milk.This is normal.The crusted stuff could probably be due to the inspissated normal secretions.

Need not be worried unless you have any associated symptoms in the breast like discharge swelling , lump, long term pain , any skin color change ,etc.which could be expected in pathological causes of inverted nipple like Breast Infection and Inflammation or Breast Cancer.

There is treatment for inverted nipples consult your gynecologist for the same , where he/she will advice exercises to reverse the problem by yourself.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.