Why do I have heavy bleeding?

4 days late on period, started having cramps and blood clots, had a water injection, still on period 2 weeks later
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 22 minutes later

Please provide me some more information on your problem so that I could answer you better.

When was your last period date?
If you are late,did you take a pregnancy test?
Are you bleeding now or not?
What medication did you take?

Awaiting reply.

Follow-up: Why do I have heavy bleeding? 31 minutes later
i had a normal 7day period on 9th may, i started another period on 13th XXXXXXX i took a pregnancey test on 12th XXXXXXX it was negative, i am still bleeding now, i had a 3 day antibotic for my water infection which a finshed taking yesterday.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later

Thanks for the information.

First,you should repeat the pregnancy test.If its negative again,then there could be a hormonal or pathological cause for the menorrhagia.
If the test is negative,you should see your doctor for a ultrasound and some blood tests.
You need to rule out thyroid dysfunction,uterine causes like polyp,fibroids,endometrial hyperplasia etc,adenomyosis etc.
The antibiotics wont have any effect like this.

A visit to your doctor is imperative.
Follow-up: Why do I have heavy bleeding? 10 hours later
i just realised the question that i was going to send didnt send, the summary question got sent. ill will re- send you the question just incase theres more information that will help or change anything...
i was 4days late on having a period but was getting cramps so new it was a matter of time, i started bleeding and then i past though a blood clot the size of my little finger, i had been getting lower back pain and a sharp pain down the right side of my body as if i had a stitch though running, i had trouble going to the toilet 1 night feeling like i was bursting but only had a trickle when it came to it, i ent to docs and the test i came came back with traces of blood prop from period and loads of white blood cells, so i got antibotics, i am still bleeding now with little blood clots also i still have back ache and cramps.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Well, normally if the period is late and then there is heavy bleeding with passage of clots, the first thing to rule out is a miscarriage. So a pregnancy test at this point is important. You mentioned that your test was negative. You have already taken antibiotics but that wont cause bleeding like this.

If your test was negative then the next cause of heavy bleeding like this is usually due to hormonal imbalance or uterine causes.

To determine that you need some blood tests and an ultrasound. If there is any pathology then that can be corrected. You should talk with your doctor about medicines to control the bleeding.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a speedy recovery.