Why do I have heart palpitations when I mow my lawn?

I'm a very fit 26 year old woman. Healthy weight. I eat healthy. Do strength training a few times a week. Run at least 3 miles every other day during the week and then run 8 miles on Saturday morning. Feel awesome after my workouts and runs but like every other time I mow my lawn I have heart palpitations that make me feel week. Why can I run forever but mowing my yard gives me heart palpitations? Once and a great while I will also get a heart palpitations after bending over. I have had a thyroid test and that came out good. Also have had a EKG and a heart ultrasound and nothing was found.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. It is good that the heart tests like EKG and heart ultrasound and thyroid tests have come out normal. Apart from a heart and thyroid disease, other possibilities are there for your symptoms of palpitations when mowing or bending over.

These include anemia, hyperthyroidism, abnormal levels of electrolytes like potassium, magnesium, and calcium, caffeine, tobacco and alcohol intake, stress and panic attack, pregnancy and taking certain medications (diet pills, some cough and cold remedies, some antibiotics, thyroid hormone, digoxin, asthma medications, beta blockers).

Investigations like Hb levels, pregnancy tests and blood tests measuring the levels of electrolytes are needed in confirming a diagnosis. In addition you need a 24 hour holter monitoring which measures the heart rhythm for 24 hours and then any arrhthymia is noted. Please get these tests done from a physician so that the cause can be confirmed. Also avoid any caffeine intake or smoking/ alocohol (if any). Make sure you eat regularly (low blood sugar can cause palpitations) and drink plenty of fluids.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.