Why do I have headaches, cough and stuffy nose?

Jun 2015

Hi, I've been suffering witha stuffy nose and headaches for more than 8 days now and also feel weak and have no energy ! I have a bit of a chesty cough also from time to time ... What is wrong with me, this is my 3rd time in 2 months to be like this!
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 31 minutes later

Symptoms like stuffy nose and headaches can be due to:
1. Upper respiratory tract infection
2. Sinusitis
3. Allergic rhinitis
4. Nasal polyps, etc.

Persistence & recurrence of the symptoms is due to the fact that the causative agent is not getting completely removed from the body.

Feeling of weakness & lack of energy can be attributed to the fatigue caused by recurrent attacks of stuffy nose and headaches.

Presence of chesty cough, which can be due to post nasal drip, further strengthens the role of infection or allergy in causation of the symptoms.

Management involves:
1. Drinking of warm fluids.
2. Antihistamines to provide symptomatic relief from cold & cough.
3. Nasal decongestants to relieve obstruction.
4. Analgesics to take care of pain & fever(if any)
5. Antibiotics to be prescribed based on culture & sensitivity reports, if bacterial infection is suspected.

So, it will be better to consult an ENT specialist & get a proper physical examination done to find out the exact cause.
So that appropriate management steps could be taken.

Investigations like complete blood count, X XXXXXXX of chest & para-nasal sinuses will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

Meanwhile, avoid taking cold food & drinks, maintain adequate hydration & take soft, non-spicy foods.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.