Ask a Urologist   »  

Why do I have green stools and blood in my urine?

Question
I am a 42 year old male, I have have XXXXXXX stool for about a week and some mild discomfort in my left side. Two days ago I was awakened by pain in my mid back near the bottom of the rib cage. When I went to urinate, I have obvious blood in my urine stream. It appeared to clear itself up then today I was awakened again by worse pain and even more bloody urine. CT scan show negative for clots. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

The reason for your XXXXXXX stool can be of various reasons. It may be due to presence of bile (a substance secreted near liver for fat digestion) in stool. It often indicates that bile (along with food) has passed through the intestines faster than normal (called decreased bowel transit time), before it could be changed from XXXXXXX to brown.

The other reasons can be malabsorbtion of food or diseases like gluten-sensitive enteropathy (celiac disease), tropical sprue, lactose intolerance (lactase deficiency), Whipple's disease or due to inadequate taking of fibrous food or Lack of exercise. I would suggest that you should consult your local G.P. for proper evaluation and treatment. In the mean while you can prevent constipation by simple measures like daily regular exercises, drinking liquids, eating fruits and taking soft diets.

What is concerning is the presence of blood in urine. This signifies any underlying medical conditions which needs investigations to confirm. Most often it is related to urinary tract problems like kidney stones, inflammation of urinary tract, prostate enlargement, renal vein thrombosis, certain kidney tumors and polycystic kidney disease, blood coagulation disorders and anticoagulants intake.

Diagnostic tests that may be performed include Urinalysis, Urine culture, X-rays of the kidneys, Cystoscopy, IVP, Abdominal ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen.

I suggest you to consult a physician and get both these causes ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.