Why do I have extreme shoulder aches during an orgasm?

I am female and During sex when im on my back it's not unusual for me to have intense shoulder pain in one or both shoulders just before orgasm. Major acheing. It goes away completely after a few minutes. But is very intense. What causes that?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The intense shoulder pain just before orgasm can be due to a deviation of blood supply to the genitalia which causes a relative ischemia in the shoulder muscles.

This can also be due to stress on your cardiac muscle due to ischemia causing a referred pain to your shoulders. You need to get the following investigations done to rule out cardiac related problems under the guidance of your physician.

1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Echocardiography
4. Tread mill test
5. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.