Why do I have discharge of pink phlegm from my anus?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am post menopause, 58, and have been bleeding occasionally when I exercise.(walk 5 miles) The area around my anus burned and there was a dark watery blood stain in my underwear which reminds me of a beginning or ending of a period. I had an endometrial biopsy and all was ok. Dr checked for blood in stool, and there was none. Sometimes I also have a bit of pink phlegm coming from my anus. Now I am wondering if my problem is coming from upper gi?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 1 hour later

Any unusual discharge from the anal opening especially at 58 will require a full length colonoscopy and an upper GI endoscopy.

The pink phlegm coming from the anus do make me strongly suspicious about the bleeding being from the colon.

The absence of the blood in stools when doctor checked is by mere chance.May be during that period of time when the sample was taken there would have been no bleed temporarily.