Why do I have difficulty walking and standing?

I am 50 Ys age. suffering for spondylolisthesis (L4 - L5) lateral view shows Grade 3 since 20 ys . Operared since 15 years back decompressedand done posterior fixation with bone graft ,laminactomy and interspinous fusion and fixation with stainless steel wire .I mantained my life with dificulties since fifteen years . now since three months I am un able to walk and stand more than five minutes . Please give advise what to do.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

After the surgery you had fifteen years ago, the problem you are having now for the last three months is most likely due to complications arising due to osteoporosis.

To know the exact cause and extent of your problem you need to have a CT-scan of spine done to see the position of fixation which was done fifteen years ago. An MRI would have been more helpful but it cannot be done in your case due to the implants in your spine.

It is best to give any advice based on the report of CT scan only.
Till then try to use a firm mattress for lying down which supports your back well instead of using a soft mattress.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.