Why do I have consistent heart palpitations while trying to sleep which reduce with Advil ?

Question
Hello I'm 57 years old I'm 5 feet 11 inches weigh about 185 for the two nights this week I have had consistent heart palpitations that occur only when I try to sleep. it wakes me up and as soon as I start to fall asleep it occurs again So I had not slept at all for two nights last night I took 1 Advil pm and tho the palpitations happened 2 times tho I did fall asleep
Tonight without the advil I attempted to sleep and the palpitations followed by gas and bloated stomach has occurred
I can see a Dr. on Tuesday but I'm very concerned
and can't sleep I have been drinking 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day. don't know if this is enough info Thanks in advance for any info you can provide
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. Palpitations are quite common while exercising. However, if they occur just at the beginning of the exercise or they occur at rest, then they need to be evaluated.

Amongst the general diseases, a low hemoglobin (anemia) and hyperthyroidism are important causes.
Hence, I’ll suggest you to get your hemoglobin checked along with the complete thyroid profile (free T3, free T4 & TSH).

For ruling out the cardiac causes, you might need further tests like an echocardiography, 24 hour EKG monitoring etc. The 24 hour EKG (holter) monitoring is a very sensitive test to pick up any underlying heart rhythm disturbances which might be the culprit in causing the palpitations. You must remember that anxiety is one of the commonest causes of palpitations.

Avoiding coffee should also help in lowering the frequency of palpitations. You can also try practicing slow breathing and releasing techniques before you see your doctor.

You should also get your blood pressure checked and if it is high, then you’ll likely need a detailed evaluation of the same.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Why do I have consistent heart palpitations while trying to sleep which reduce with Advil ? 2 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX I appreciate your replay and where I am very active 3 Days a week
In a theatrical production
None of the palpations take place before or after excercise
It's only at night when I'm attempting to sleep
The palpitations wake me instantly and this cycle continues
So my specific questions
Why is this only happening during the night while i'm attempting to sleep

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back. Palpitations which are worse at night when you are trying to sleep are usually due to intake of coffee or stress and anxiety. But it is important to rule out other medical causes like benign ectopic heartbeats and atrial fibrillation as well which can also cause palpitations at night.

Ectopic heartbeat is an irregularity of the heart rate and heart rhythm and they are benign if they are not associated with any cause. Atrial fibrillation is an irregular and often rapid heart rhythm.

Both these causes need to be investigated by means of echocardiography, 24 hour EKG monitoring (holter) and maybe an angiography ( less likely if the above two tests come out normal).

Regards.

Follow-up: Why do I have consistent heart palpitations while trying to sleep which reduce with Advil ? 1 hour later
Not a Question
Just wanted to say I really appreciate the clarity of your last response & I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow
Thank you Dr.
Mb

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 minutes later

Thanks for your kind words. Do keep writing to us for any health query you have.

All the best for your doctor's appointment and wishing you a great health.

Regards.