Why do I have burning sensation and inflamed redness on the head of my penis?

Hello, my girlfriend and I have been having unprotected sex. The past few times I have felt a hot burning sensation on my penis. Then after notice inflamed redness mostly on the head of my penis. Would like to know possible causes as I have never experienced this before. Thanks in advance.
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Rule out vaginitis Detailed Answer: Dear friend, Thanks for your query. Given the fact that you have sex without a condom barrier, and the symptoms of penile irritation happen only after intercourse, it would be prudent for your girlfriend to undergo a pelvic exam with some samples, as sometimes secretions from vaginitis or vaginosis can cause skin irritation in the partner; sometimes, these vaginosis may be a consequence of normal comensal flora proliferation. Then, the physician can send those fluid samples for analysis. Hope that helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN