Why do I have breast pain after surgery?

General Surgeon
37 yo F, 5'8", 148lb, in good health, nonsmoker, recent bilateral mastopexy without augmentation two weeks ago (7/20/11), on one breast from the nipple towards the mid-line I feel this pain like the muscle is hung up and it hurts bad and it has been like this since I had this surgery I am concerned that it will never go away, what it is and what can I do about it?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 6 hours later

Every surgery has some chances of complications ,even in the best of hands & institution ,so mastopexy is no exception.

In a young female of just 37 with good health , non smoker history of bilateral mastopexy followed by pain on one side from nipple towards the mid line.

Following bilateral mastopexy pain is seen in the first 48 hours after surgery ,generally relieved by analgesics .

In very rare cases some patient develop chronic or long-term pain that will require further long term treatment.

As you have been operated on 20th July,only18-20 days back. so chances of such post operative pain subsiding in due course of time is very high.

In majority of patient such pain disappear after treatment as complete healing due take place.

It is due realignment of breast tissue & muscle ,which do take time to recover fully.

You should remain in touch with your surgeon for early relief & proper treatment.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”
Follow-up: Why do I have breast pain after surgery? 8 hours later
realignment of breast tissue and muscle? in your experience what is the typical time to recover fully? what would be say the outlier time frame - 6 weeks? 6 months? When should I start to worry that this has gone from acute to being a long term issue?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 4 hours later
Nice to see you again
     Three weeks post mastopexy patients feels reasonably comfortable ,as during first three weeks ,weekly check up is done.

Complete healing commonly takes place with in 3 months in patient without complication. .

Any complication may prolong the healing depending upon the complication.

‘Hope I have answered your query, Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.