Why do I have blood in my stools?

ENT Specialist
I am a 35 year old man and I noticed some mucus in my poo about 2 weeks ago until to date, 3 days ago there was some red blood in poo, the blood is stopped or very small but poo has been XXXXXXX for 2 days now, poo is soft and have been going twice a day with no pain just worry,
I had a larger bleed about 1 year once, doc put finger up there and said prob just a cut, but had 5 or 6 blood tests and all ok, should I have day off work and go doc tomorrow or wait a copple of days.

Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 37 minutes later

The condition from which you might be suffering is "fissure in ano". It is a very common condition. I will tell you some details about this problem and how to prevent its symptoms.

It is just a small crack or you may say cut in the rectal mucosa(inner wall) or anal mucosa that leads to pain and blood mixed stools. It occurs in patients who encounter with recurrent constipation. The hard stools leads to injury in the mucosa locally, which on constant irritation causes pain and bleeding.

As far as your XXXXXXX stools are concerned, it may to due to some liver problem, XXXXXXX color is due to bile.

What you will have to do now---

First of all consult a general surgeon, and get yourself examined properly and this procedure is called as proctoscopy.

Secondly, get complete blood examination, along with liver and renal function tests.

Avoid taking junk foods.

Take fibre XXXXXXX diet full of XXXXXXX vegetables.

Hope this will certainly help you. and I will am available for the future follow ups.

Don't worry, it is a very minor entity, and you will be all right, with some precautions only.