Why do I have blood in my stool, sharp pain in my abdomen and brown discharge after giving birth seven months ago?

i am 23 years old and i had a baby 7 months ago and shortly after experienced sharp little pains through my abdomenal area and was experiencing blood in my stool. this probably happened about 5 times within the first 4 months. i just thought it might be my body healing/changing after birth. about a month ago i took on about a 20 pound weight gain very quickly and all of a sudden (possibly from birth control? i have since quit taking) . just 2 days ago i had blood in my stool again and still occasionally feel quick, sharp pains in my abdomenal area (this does not occur every day). i've also had brown discharge for about a week. i am afraid that something is wrong. what could this be?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 24 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

If its XXXXXXX ( fresh blood ) you see in the stools it could be bleeding lesions form the lower GI tract like colon , rectum or anal canal.The commonest causes for the same with the associated symptoms you have are :
2)Anal Fissure
3)Colon Polyps
4)Solitary Ulcers of the Small Bowel, Colon or Rectum usually associated with long term NSAID ( pain killers ) use.
5)Growths either benign or malignant

I would advice you to get a per rectal examination and a Colonoscopy which can give detailed insights into the cause for the symptoms you have.You may have to consult a Gastroentrologist for the same.

Meanwhile, I advice you to use laxatives like Liquid paraffin which can minimize the chances of bleeding by preventing constipation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.