Why do I have an empty head feeling?

Question
Why do I have an empty head feeling
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
The empty head feeling can be due to several reasons. It can be due to excessive stress, lack of sleep, anxiety, alcohol or substance withdrawal, viral fever, or simply even blocked sinuses.
So to help me guide you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Have you been sleeping well off late?
b. Have you been using excessive alcohol, or any other substances ( any at all)?
c. Do you feel restless or worried all the time?
d. Do you have any fever, cough or cold?

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Why do I have an empty head feeling? 19 hours later
I had a sinus infection that was treated with antibiotics. No drinking, okay sleep, a bit worried.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 12 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
I am sorry for writing back late.
I think the sinus infection and probably some anxiety could be leading to this feeling. The following things should make you feel better:
a. Steam inhalation twice daily. This should help the most
b. Get some exercise
c. XXXXXXX up friends or talk with someone you can
d. You can take tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once daily as long as the feeling last
e. If you find yourself worrying excessively and this has been going on for quite some time, you may need to see your physician.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more information.

Follow-up: Why do I have an empty head feeling? 30 hours later
Do you think it could be a chronic infection? It's been a couple of weeks.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
I would be calling it chronic sinusitis only if you have had the symptoms for >12 weeks and the symptoms have persisted despite treatment.
So I don't think its a chronic infection. We need to institute proper treatment first to find out whether its responding or not. You would be needing steam inhalation and anti-allergy medication like cetrizine. Also, a trial of oral antibiotics like amoxicilln-clavulanate may be in order. If you do not respond, we could be considering other options like steroid nasal sprays.
So in my knowledge ( and please correct me if I am wrong) since you have not received any medication, it would be too early in the day to call it chronic sinusitis.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if you need any more information.

Follow-up: Why do I have an empty head feeling? 29 hours later
I'm on an antibiotic and nasal spray. I'm worried I have a brain tumor. But I do worry a lot about my health.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 16 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
Its extremely unlikely that you have a brain tumour. A brain tumour will cause early morning headache, vomiting and other things like fits, motor issues etc. Also, it is generally in the elderly. So dont worry on that front
You'll have to take care of the anxiety issues though. Not only it can cause the symptoms you have, it can also worsen them.
So try exercising, taking some time out for yourself, speaking with friends and family and doing stuff you enjoy.
Yoga and XXXXXXX breathing will also help you clear your mind.
Let me know if I can help you with any more concerns.

Follow-up: Why do I have an empty head feeling? 11 hours later
Thanks I agree, I am on a strong antibiotic, and a pro biotic. I still have lots of head pain, and a foggy brain, and sometimes am pretty sick with this. I believe it is just a chronic sinus infection after reading about it and am not as concerned as before, my doctor belives that it is only a sinus problem.

Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
I would agree with your physician. I think if we take care of the anxiety while the antibiotics take care of the infection, we should be good.
Wish you the very best.
If you do not have any more questions, please close the discussion.