Why do I have a white swollen bump on my clitoris which is painful?

Hi, I am a 29 year old female with two kids. Last night I noticed I was having some pain on my clitoris. There is also a white bump and a little swelling around it. Could you please tell me what might this be?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 minutes later

In the absence of any risk factors for exposure to sexually transmitted infections this sounds like a benign inflammation.

This can sometimes be related to a tiny amount of bacteria which are normally present in the area of the vagina. These bacteria occasionally can get underneath the skin and setup a local area of infection. This is similar to what we commonly know as a pimple.

I would advise the following:
Take a good 20 minute soak in the bathtub twice daily for the next few days.
Avoid wearing tight fitting clothing or doing anything which would cause an ex excessive amount of friction in that area.
Observe for the next 5-7 days and it should gradually resolve.
If it continues or worsens I recommend you have physician examine you.

I hope have provided you with an adequate response to your query.

I am available for followups if needed.

I wish you continued excellent health.

Dr. Robert Galamaga
Follow-up: Why do I have a white swollen bump on my clitoris which is painful? 2 hours later
Thank you so much, Dr. Galamaga! I'm almost postitive it is not caused by an std. My husband and I have been together for over 5 years.

While soaking in the bath should I add some epsom salt? Do you think that could aid in the healing process? Thanks in advance. You've been very helpful!
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello again and thanks for your followup.

You could certainly use some epsom salts in your bath to help soothe the area. Sometimes also, the salt content from the epsom will help decrease swelling of inflamed tissue. The epsom salts are fine but I would refrain from using special bubble baths or lotions otherwise.

Thank you again for your followup.

Dr. Robert Galamaga