Why do I have a rocking feeling after parathyroid removal?

I had a parathyroid removed and half a thyroid on my right side along with a nodule removed at the same time 12/09. Since then I have felt like I am on a boat rocking most of the time. I tell the doctor about it but no clear cut answers. I went to the doctor and got a complete physical and they said that my hbc is 10.3 so I'm having a colonoscopy done in 3 weeks. I am morbid obese and I am working on this with diet and exercise but it is hard because the fuzziness gets worse with walking and standing. I have hypothyroid (take Levothyroxin)which came out fine with this last test. No diabetes, high blood pressure (controlled with diet and medication). Saw Cardiologist all okay there they were shocked how well my arteries are. I don't know why but Gatorade helps when the fuzziness is really bad. I am getting nowhere with any of the doctors as they all focus on my weight. I have been far heavier than I am now and didn't feel like this until after the surgery.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
You should have described about the symptoms much better. Details like what time, what positions, duration of the symptom, what increases it and what reduces it. This is important.
The rocking feeling that you get specially during standing can be either due to a middle ear problem - Miniere's disease- can be ruled out by an ENT specialist.
The other thing is can be due to cervical spondylosis - needs an orthopaedic opinion for diagnosis.
It can be due to spondylottic or osteoarthritic changes.
You can take some general measures till you get an appoinment with ENT specialist or orthopaedician like-
Avoid using a pillow.
Use a firm mattress on a hard bed which properly supports your back.
Avoid standing for long periods of time.
I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.