Ask a Dentist   »  

Why do I have a recurrent slime coating on my tongue after removal of my wisdom tooth?

3 days after have a wisdom remove my tongue bloomed with a thick brownish slime this seemingly went away after a z pac nystatin and salt water rinse about 8 mo later it comes back with a vengance the tooth socket became slightly painfull i thought the next tooth was migrating not the case my tounge was covered with brown slime it scrapes/brushes/h2o3.3% off only to return next morn the socket symtom has gone away the dentist called it a mystery a prescribed antybiotic after a week of that and scraping/brushing/ect it is a clear/white/yellowish slime so we have started nystaten and clortimazole for the last 5 days but the slime coating just returns in the morning anyone know what this could be no swollen glands or sore throat fairly healthy diet not diabetic but do suffer from symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome for last 15 years age 47 6.1 275# gabapetun,, famotidne coenzyme q200 mg qd, betacarotene ,super b complex, bp normal col slightly high yearl blood work normal as of XXXXXXX 2010 ,mom dec liver cancer bro stage 4 lung cancer/chemo sis dbl mastectomy/lymph/chemo
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

In case, the oral thrush has repeated after 8 months and is now resistant to nystatin and clotrimazole, the cause of the mucus coating could be due a dry mouth, lack of proper oral hygiene, and recurrent dental infections and antibiotic therapy.

When a tongue takes on a milky white coating overnight, the reason is simple. The papillae, which are the small bumps that have taste buds between them, become inflamed overnight and swell. As they grow larger, the papillae may catch dead cells, bacteria and debris. These debris lead to the symptoms of a metallic taste and bad breath, as well as the milky white coating on the tongue.

Some general steps that can help to maintain a good oral hygiene include: -

1. Brushing the tongue regularly can help to cure coated tongue by dislodging dead cells, food debris and bacteria that build up between the papillae on the tongue. (Papillae are the little finger-like projections on the surface of the tongue.) Using a mouth wash also might be helpful.

2. Adding plain yogurt to your diet will help to cure coated tongue. Yogurt contains beneficial bacteria called acidophilus, which help to correct the microbial imbalance in the body that causes coated tongue. Alternatively, a nutritional supplement that contains the acidophilus bacteria can be taken to cure coated tongue.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.
Follow-up: Why do I have a recurrent slime coating on my tongue after removal of my wisdom tooth? 2 hours later
i have allways brushed 3 times daily and maintain exccelent oral hygene. toungue brushing and scraping have been added since the onset of this, yogurt was added 3 times daily as well at the onset,( as the h2o3 destroys good and bad bacteria ) h2o3 was discontinued with the start of nystatin and clortrimazole. there are NO, nor have there been any odor or metallic taste issues. all shugar and fresh fruit have been removed from diet, nor have i been on antibiodics since the z pack(8 months ago), untill the second onset(erythrocin prescribed by dentist) .nor have i used clotrimazole befor untill 5 days ago . i have an outstanding dental plan and have not suffered any dental infections (wisdom tooth was removed due to crowding) nor do i have dry mouth, salivary glads all work well (as this is one of the things dentist checked for)
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for the additional history.

Since most of the initial causes have been ruled out, your condition could be a benign condition and may be helped by brushing your tongue with a tongue scraper and drinking plenty of water. It might resolve on its own.

However, if you're concerned about changes in your tongue, if your tongue also hurts, or if your white tongue persists for longer than two weeks, the next step for a proper diagnosis is - to do a culture of the scrapings of the tongue. This will provide a exact diagnosis so as to a bacterial or a fungal infection.

The other chronic conditions that can produce such coatings would be

1. liver disorders ( can be evaluated with liver function tests),
2. Geographic tongue (a condition that gives your tongue a map-like appearance)
3. Leukoplakia (may be precancerous)
4. Oral lichen planus (a chronic, autoimmune disorder)

I hope this helps.
Follow-up: Why do I have a recurrent slime coating on my tongue after removal of my wisdom tooth? 17 hours later
dr. thank you for your time,I am not sure that any of these(2,3,4) fit the problem,but i will get a liver function test next. thank you very much for your time.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 33 minutes later
Hello again,

You are very welcome.

I hope your problems resolve soon.