Why do I have a purple reddish circle on the back of thigh which is painful? No injury suffered

Why I have a purple reddish circle on the back of my thigh? Painful to the touch & I had no injury.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later
A purple reddish circle on the back of your thigh without any history of injury is likely to be due to a decreased platelet count possibly due to the breast cancer chemotherapy.
You need to consult your physician to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT and platelet count to find out the causes like thrombocytopenia.
This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out.
The treatment is based on the diagnosis and severity of the problem. Treatment is usually done by fluid infusion, steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.