Why do I have a low platelet count?

Hello! my Dr told me that my platelet count is a little low. I had a cbc done everything was ok but my platelet count. I am very concerned about this. My platelet count is 132 L. can someone please explain whats going on with me?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

A mildly decreased platelet count in the absence of any other abnormality or symptom can be due to-
1. A viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
2. History of taking some drugs like- antiepileptics, antibiotics, acetaminophen- due to immunological destruction of platelets.
3. Presence of any autoimmune disorders.
4. Idiopathic purpura- where no definite cause can be found out.
You need to have further evaluations under the guidance of your physician to rule out the various causes.
The treatment is based on the diagnosis and severity of the problem. Treatment is usually done by fluid infusion, steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.