Why do I have a great deal of energy during my periods?

When I have my period each month usually about 27-30 days apart, I have a great deal more energy. I am 38 years, 5'11" and about 185 lbs. It has been going on since I first had my period when I was 13.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later

I could not understand your concern exactly.

Please provide me the more specific history/complaints about your health issue so that I can suggest you better.

Do you have any menstrual problems?
Do you have any other symptoms like pelvic pain, irregular bleeding, etc?

If you give me more details about your complaints I may be able to make a better diagnosis.

Awaiting your reply with more details.

Follow-up: Why do I have a great deal of energy during my periods? 4 hours later
No, I don't have any menstrual, "problems." I actually have more energy and feel better when I have my period. I am just wondering if there is something in my system during that time that would make me feel like I have sooo much more energy. Usually I am VERY lethargic and then I have my period and I have a ridiculous amount of energy.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 hours later

Thanks for making your complaints clear.

Well, normally women experience fatigue during menstruation due to blood loss etc.

It could be due to change in hormonal levels during menstrual cycle. But I feel, if you do not have any other complaints related to your menstrual cycle apart from your elevated mood and more energy, you need not to worry about it.

Hope, this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Why do I have a great deal of energy during my periods? 13 hours later
I am not, "worried" or I would have seen my Gyno, I am however curious as to what hormones are elevated during menstruation that might cause this increase in energy. Maybe that way I could eat foods or take a vitamin that is XXXXXXX in these hormones. Like I said earlier usually I am lethargic --but not when I am menstruating.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

There are many hormones secreted during menstruation like Estrogen, progesterone, GnRH (gonadotropin-releasing hormone) etc.

But all these hormones are natural and should not be taken without prescription and indication.

You can change your diet to one XXXXXXX in minerals and vitamins.You can also take multivitamins supplements.

However, hormone supplementation has serious side effects without proper indication.I suggest that you see your GP and get a prescription of vitamins etc first.