Why do I get sick and throw up after eating seafood?

Why do I get sick and throw up after eating seafood, especially crab legs? I do not drink with my food.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

It sounds to me that you have a allergy to certain types of food. You might not be allergic to offish but certain fish may cause an allergic reaction within your gastrointestinal tract. This will lead to nausea and vomiting.

This is unfortunate especially if you enjoy the taste of this type of food but in the future you might have to avoid this category of cuisine when making your meal choices.

Please let me know if I might be able to provide you any additional assistance.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Why do I get sick and throw up after eating seafood? 12 hours later
So it is not necessary to break out in hives, have a swollen red face to be allergic to that type of food? The allergic reaction can be in your gastrointestinal tract only?
May I ask a different question? Would a noncompressive disk bulge between L1 and L2 create extreme back pain, like I am having? I really hope someone can answer this for me. It is the question I should have originally submitted.

Thank you.
Hello again and thank you for your follow-up.

The answer is yes, allergy does not always mean rash and swelling. There can be a pure gastrointestinal reaction. In your case I suspect that you do have an allergy to some type of seafood.

Regarding your other question if you have a bulging disc in the low back this can certainly cause extreme levels of pain. This often needs to be treated with physical therapy and anti-inflammatory medications. Sometimes we use prednisone to help with some of the swelling around the area of the disc.

Thanks again for somebody your question. I am available if you have additional concerns.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Why do I get sick and throw up after eating seafood? 2 hours later
So, even if my MRI report says noncompressive minimal disk bulge at L1 and L2 with degeneration. That could still cause the horrible pain I'm having?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question.

It would be unusual that with only very minor disc bulging that you have this degree of pain.

I would recommend that you see your doctor for a good physical examination. Additional test may need to be done including a urinalysis to see if there are some other possible causes such as a kidney stone or a gallstone.

If this is only a musculoskeletal issue perhaps physical therapy may be of some benefit.

Thanks again for your question.

Dr. Robert