Why do I get pimples and boils on my back frequently?

I get pimples/zits on my back. Also I get boils quite often. I have been tested for MSRA and diabetes. Both negative. Do you have any idea what it can be and steps I can take to avoid them in the future?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 minutes later

These small pimples on the back are due to folliculitis which is caused by irritation and inflammation of the hair follicles. It is usually caused by irritation, infections like bacteria and yeasts and other noninfectious skin conditions. Sometimes it is caused by clogging of pores by dandruff falling from the scalp. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus and may occur due to hair follicles that are blocked by greasy creams and petroleum jelly or by using shared cosmetics or washcloths.

For folliculitis of the back, keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap. Avoid any kind of cosmetics especially greasy cosmetic creams and if your hair has dandruff then use a good antidandruff shampoo. It can be avoided by exercising good hygiene. Topical antibiotics like Clindamycin and Neosporin which are usually available over the counter are effective.

For boils, however you may need oral antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide creams or incision and drainage.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.