Why do I get headache when waking up from sleep?

I get an abrupt headache when I wake up from sleep, this is not every day but this headache lasts the entire day
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

There are many causes of headaches which start in the morning and persist throughout the day. One important cause is lack of sleep which may be due to insomnia or sleep apnea. Check out if you are having any of them. Rarely, serious diseases may cause early morning awakening headaches. These diseases may include brain tumors, sleep apnea, and severe high blood pressure.

You need to get a CT scan or MRI head to rule out any brain tumors which commonly presents with morning headache on waking up.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.