Why do I get head spins?

Hi i am getting very dizzy ( spinning eyes sensation - like i have just spun in a circle) when waking up in the morning. and also with sudden head movements. I really banged my head in my cellar a month ago which left me with a big bump and i had a coil fitted in May which i have had endless infections from.. any ideas please help
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Head spins (vertigo) may be associated with many reasons which need to be ruled out one by one in your case-

1. Abnormal position of the neck- avoid using a pillow for a few days and see if it improves.
2. Migraine headaches are also associated with vertigo or spinning of head. Do you have any association with headache?
3. Inner ear problems- due to inflammation or miniere's disease. An ear examination and audiometry test are needed to rule out ear problems.
4. Stroke causing compromised blood supply to the cerebellum and inner ear. This can be ruled out by your general physician after looking for all the risk factors.
5. Cervical spondylosis- usually associated with pain in the neck.
6. Metabolic conditions such as hyponatremia. Blood test to check serum sodium levels will rule out hypnatremia.

You need to rule out the above conditions and then get the treatment according to the diagnosis.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.