Why do I get a sharp pain just below the rib cage ?

Hi there
I'm 32, 165cm tall and weigh 64kgs.

Since yesterday, I've been having a sharp pain just below my left rib cage.. I thought it was constipation... it comes and goes.
Just a few moments ago, it hurt to breath in XXXXXXX . and if I twisted my body in a certain way, it felt tender.

I have been able to go to the toilet.. but it feels like something is stuck there in my stomach?

I'm currently travelling (in Paris) .. so a long way from home.. and just wanted to find out if it was worth going to the doctors here about?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

From the description of the pain, as well as the history of travel, it seems to appear that you might have pulled a muscle or tendon around the lower part of the chest ribs. Such form of pain usually increases with a specific form of body movements too. In most cases such musculoskeletal pain would appear to be very severe but is mostly benign and would resolve soon.
Having adequate rest and Using pain killers like ibuprofen (Advil or motrin) might help to control the pain.

Other causes of pain , that increases of XXXXXXX breathing would be respiratory infection, pneumonitis, etc. But such conditions are associated with fever, breathing difficulty, reduced oxygenation, cough with expectoration, and other symptoms. Absence of such symptoms in your case, rule out such causes.

Presence of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or change in appetite would suggest any gastrointestinal cause of the abdominal pain.

In most cases, without major discomfort, taking rest and pain killers would solve your issues.

In case, you do have similar symptoms or any other doubts that you do feel might be important, seeing a health care professional would be helpful.

I hope this answers your question.

I shall be available to answer any persisting doubts or questions.