Why do I feel pain in middle of the chest on bending?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
as i bend down to tie my shoe the middle of my chest spasms outward violently and then stops..feels like a tear in the muscle too,, can feel it when I sleep in a fetal position
Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The pain in the middle of the chest on bending down is likely to be due an inflammation of the costochondral joints near xiphisternum.
A muscle tear in this area is not likely. You need to avoid any painful movements for a while. Taking mild pain killers and doing a hot fomentation usually takes care of the symptoms.
In case the symptoms are persistent then consulting an orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines is recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.