Why do I feel nausea and back pain after bowel movement?

General Surgeon
Hi- After a BM I often feel nausea and my lower back hurts (more on the left side). The nausea will last 2 or 3 hours and the back pain will last all day.
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Lower back pain and nausea can be caused by diverticulitis, left urinary tract stones. All this diseases can be missed by abdominal CT (I assume you have had abdominal CT, not spine CT). Sometimes such symptoms can be caused by spinal disc herniation however such pain do not cause nausea.
Diverticulitis is very often associated with constipations. Urinary tract diseases can appear suddenly (if stones are present) and can radiate to the groin. Burning when urinating, frequent urinating can be present.
It is advisable for you to have full blood work with CRP level, urine analysis and colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.