Why do I feel my pulse although blood pressure is normal ?

I often can feel my pulse in my hands/wrists, face, lower legs, chest, although blood pressure shows normal. Also, my left arm feels like ice water is flowing through my bicep area. I just came back from Walmart and the Blood Pressure station measured me at 111/64, pulse 73.

Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

This sensation of feeling of heartbeat is called palpitations and even if your blood pressure is normal, you need a through body examination for these palpitations. Amongst the general diseases, anxiety, a low hemoglobin (anemia) and hyperthyroidism are important causes. For ruling out the cardiac causes, you might need further tests like an echocardiography, 24 hour EKG monitoring etc. In addition you need to get your hemoglobin levels and thyroid profile test done.

The feeling of ice water flowing in the biceps area indicates a neurological cause and since you have palpitations also, it is best to get thoracic outlet syndrome ruled out. Thoracic outlet syndrome is due to compression of neurovascular structures behind the clavicle and may give rise to some of your symptoms like feeling of heart beat or numbness and ice cold sensations in arms and hands. I suggest you to get this possibility also evaluated from your physician and get a nerve conduction velocity test done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.