Why do I feel like something is stuck at the back of my throat ?

I've been feeling like something is stuck in the back of my throat (like food or something was stuck there) and it has been feeling a little sore for about a week now. Today I looked with a mirror and flashlight and I have a reddish pink bump/ lump in the back throat and it has a tiny red dot on it sort of like a cut. It's very irritating and doesn't hurt much just feels like something is stuck.. hopefully you can help me, thank-you
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 27 minutes later

Thank you for submitting your question.

I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on. You have sent a picture and I really appreciate the detail in the resolution of the image in your case.

I would have to say the most likely contributing factor to the sense of fullness as well as the small red dot which you see in the picture is that there was a degree of local inflammation in the back of the throat which progressed until you developed symptoms.

As far as what might have contributed to the inflammation there are a couple of considerations. The first one would be a small infection. A virus or a bacteria could have somehow gotten underneath the tissue and cost a small infection where some swelling has developed as well as possibly some pain. The sense of fullness with swallowing is secondary to this degree of swelling.

With a small infection we can usually expect that to resolve over a period of approximately 10 to 14 days and sometimes a little bit longer. Occasionally antibiotics might be used to help shorten the duration of the illness.

Another possible contribute factor would be local trauma to the back of your throat. This usually occurs if someone eats food which has a sharp edge such as a potato chip or such as popcorn. Similar to an infection it might take 10 to 14 days for this to gradually resolve.

As far as recommendations go for the time being I would recommend that you continue good oral hygiene and you might consider using a salt water gargle to work three times per day with some warm water and salt. This will help with some of the swelling and may decrease some of the symptoms you have when you swallow.

If you happen to develop fevers or chills or progressively worsening pain in the throat, I would seek care from a physician who might consider giving you and antibiotic. Otherwise I would expect your symptoms to slowly and gradually resolve over the next couple of weeks.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my answer to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this question please do not hesitate to ask and I will address them.

Dr. Robert.