Why do I feel hungry and have concentration difficulty after masturbation?

I have been masturbating once a month for last 1 year .Whenver i masturbate i feel low in confidence and more hungry .Unable to concentrate much and only able to work pretty slower than usual.Iam working in a reputed organisation as a business analyst though because of tis i get very down in professional career atleast for 2-3 after i have done this masturbation.
I know it's difficult to get rid of this.but i would need to get rid of this and possibly have more sucess in life.Iam 27 years old unmarried.This habot is not new to me i had done many times between age 15 and 20 mostly once amonth later i controlled myself once in 3-4 months after that but recently iam doing once in a month for past 3 months and feeling more weak .Please guide .
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Masturbation is considered as a part of normal human sexual behaviour and is very common among young males. Many people have a fear or belief that it causes ill effects or medical problems. But the fact is that actually does not have any serious effects on health and does not lead to any major medical problems. Howeever, in some persons, masturbation can give rise to psychological feelings of guilt, anxiety and depression, and this in turn can lead to distress and dysfunction. Even in your case, it appears that your practice of masturbation appears to be causing psychological changes such as low confidence, etc. which in turn may be the indirect cause of your other problems like inability to focus or concentrate, slowness, poor professional performance, etc.

Since you have mentioned that this is resulting in a significant dysfunction in your professional career and since you want to control it, I would give you the following suggestions:

- Firstly, try to keep your mind active and occupied at all times. When the mind is idle, it will tend to wander away to sexual thoughts. So, keep a busy scedule so that you don't let your mind have any idle time. You can find a new hobby or learn something new (like a new sport or a musical instrument) or you can take up a new assignment at work.

- Regular physical exercise is very important. You can join a gym or have your own exercise schedule. This will not only keep your body healthy but serve as a good outlet to let out to vent out your energy.

- Make specific plans and goals for your future. You have to make short-term and long-term goals for your life and start working to achieve them. This will keep your mind foccussed and prevent your thoughts from getting scattered.

- Improve your social life. XXXXXXX friends and relatives, go for outings or group activities and keep yourself busy. If you keep staying alone in your room, you are more prone to engage in masturbation frequently.

- You can try yoga and meditation. This can help you develop a discipline of your mind and body and help you get a mastery over your thoughts and behaviours.

- Remove anything which triggers you into a mood to masturbate. For example, clear your room of all pornographic material; if you access internet pornography, you can disconnect your internet connection, etc.

- Stop thinking and feeling guilty about this all the time. The more you think about it, the more difficult it becomes to resist. So, get rid of the guilt in your mind and keep your mind relaxed.

In addition to these suggestions, personal counselling may be helpful in dealing with your problem. There are effective psychological therapies like behaviour therapy, aversion therapy, hypnotherapy, etc. which can help you get control over any unwanted behaviours or practices. So, you can consult a pysychiatrist in your area for further personal counselling.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist
Follow-up: Why do I feel hungry and have concentration difficulty after masturbation? 9 hours later
Thanks for your answer.
Medically I have a low Blood Pressure around 70/100 for atleast 24 hours after masturbation Is there any way to overcome this .I think this may cause instability in the mind and body.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 hours later
Hello again,

A blood pressure of 100 / 70 does not indicate a major problem, provided you don't have any risk factors for cardiac disease.

I would suggest the following:
- During such times keep drinking plenty of fluids and fresh fruit juices.
- When you are feeling run down or fatigued, you can even take a glass of water, with a pinch of salf and a spoon of glucose or sugar.
- You can also take a multivitamin plus anti-oxidant supplement everyday.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist
Follow-up: Why do I feel hungry and have concentration difficulty after masturbation? 55 minutes later
Thanks for your answer .Could you please suggest any medicine for mutlivitamin/antioxidant supplement .

I think you are correct i do eat and drink more for a day after masturbation and i feel that i need to eat more to become normal.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 19 hours later
You can take Matilda-AF, once a day, after food.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist