Why do I feel a pressure on my chest during my period?

can your menstruation make you feel like you have a pressure on your chest or is it just stress? I do get it everytime I have my period. It scares me but then it goes away. Somestimes I have to burp afterwards.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later

Pressure on the chest is not likely to be associated with menstruation. The symptoms seems classical for anxiety.

Suddenly feeling chest tightness and out of breath without any cardiac or lung disorder, with no history of smoking, alcohol or drugs points towards anxiety disorder.

To help this problem you can take a few measures-
1. Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2. Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
3. Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4. Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.
You can also discuss the problem with your GP who will help you in choosing a good antianxiety drug with low day time sedation.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Why do I feel a pressure on my chest during my period? 57 minutes later
Is it also possible that my anxiety is pre-menopausal? Because I have hair loss, memory isn't what it used to be, I get angry very often, no patience, fatigue, insomia and more. Every 25 days I start with spotting, than after 5 days of spotting it wil get a little bit heavy for 2 to 3 days and than 1 day spotting and then my period is over. but the day that I get heavy I will have a anxiety attack. It's scary. My doctor did bloodwork, he told me my hormones aren't what they are suppose to be. We tried the pill it alleviated my symptomps but at the other hand it gave me swollen legs. Is it possible for me to be pre-menopausal?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Premenopausal symptoms are not expected to start so early. You are only 38. This is more likely to be related to pre menstrual anxiety.

As you also have mentioned that blood work was normal you need not worry.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.