Ask a Urologist   »  

Why do I drip after urinating or having sex?

Geriatrics Specialist
I've had a problem with drippining after urinating or dripping after having sex for years. Im in my 40's and this has
always seemed to be a problem. I went to a doctor years ago, he gave me something for a urinary infection but it didn't seem to help and I never followed up, it's a bit embarrassing. What do you suggest?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 50 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing to us,
The dribbling is due to the URINARY INCONTINENCE. It can be controlled.
Urinary infection could be reason but the doctor had prescribed you medications for it, since it did not help we need to look into other causes.
First try the non invasive method
1 Bladder training it involves double voiding, first urinating resting for two minutes and then voiding again
2 Try pelvic floor exercises ( kegel exercise ) ,your GP will explain and give an idea of pelvic muscle exercises.
Medications like IMIPRAMINE are used to control the urge and stress incontinence( take under GP prescription)
If none of the above, works out, invasive procedure like sling operations are available ,but remember it is the last line of treatment.
Let me know if you have further questions,
Thank you.