Why do I chronically catch infections?

General Surgeon
I'm a 32 year old male. I exercise regularly, supplement with vitamins and probiotics, and eat a pretty healthy balanced diet. More specifically about diet, I don't like sugar, so I eat primarily slow carbs, lean protein and unsaturated fats. I'm not vegan or vegetarian.

First a little background:
For years I've also been getting what appear to be staph infections in my nose. Very painful ones. Swabbing antibiotic on it for about a week usually clears it up in most cases. A few years back I had to have my tonsils removed due to two years of severe recurrent infections that repeatedly put me in the hospital and antibiotics did little to stop. This past year I've had regular cases of "sick breath" according to my girlfriend. Past three weeks it has become intolerable to her it's so strong. Saw an EENT about it and was put on Nystatin mouthwash for an apparent thrush on my tongue and throat. It cleared that up but I didn't start noticing a difference in my across-the-room level sick breath until on a hunch I started swallowing the stuff, at which point the smell started to clear. At the same time I also developed a severe yeast infection on my genitals. My GP put me on a simple cream for that which is clearing it up. I still get regular acne outbreaks in all manner of places at 32. I also feel chronically fatigued most days, which I suspect might have to do with my body constantly fighting off infections. Aside from the acne which hit in my teens, this all started up about a decade ago.

Now the big question:
What could be causing such chronic recurrent infections and why does my body seem to let them take hold so easily?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Recurrent infection is more common in persons having low immunity, i.e., capacity of body to fight infection & stop from spreading in early stages. Immunity level can alter at any age in life(no doubt infection is more common in diabetic but you have not mentioned about it, so I consider you are not diabetic). Infection can always be super added by fungal infection or vice versa.

Fungal infection and certain bacterial infection can produce bad breath. So you must see a GP and also get tested for immunity. Some time person can be chronic carrier for certain bacterial,viral or fungal infection. That infection get exaggerated when body immunity falls or weakness occurs. So you need the help of some good specialist in multidisciplinary hospital.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction.

Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.