Why did my urine test show positive result for morphine while taking codine cough syrup?

I go to a Pain Clinic for Trigeminal Neuralgia and A Typical Facial Pain (2 or so years now). Friday they found Morophine and Codine in my urine. I have a UTI as well. Taking over the counter a cough syrup containing Codine. Do NOT know where the Morophine came from!! HELP!
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Codeine metabolized into morphine,excreted urine Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, How long have you taken Codeine prior to the testing? Please bare in mind that codeine is converted/metabolized into morphine in our body if taken up to 2-3 days prior to test. Are you taking any other drug apart Codeine? What drugs did they prescribe for facial pain (vicodin, percocet)? Have consumed any food or supplement containing XXXXXXX seeds? Usually, when these foods are being consumed up to 3 days prior to testing, morphine would result in urine. All the best! Do not hesitate to contact me again if have further queries! Dr.Alba