Why did my bowel movement have color change? Ate powdered donuts. Is it related?

Today I had a bowel movement. Half of the stool (first part) was a good darker brown as normal, the second half was very very light, almost XXXXXXX or white (the second half). There was a very distinct division between the two colors, it didn't blend into the lighter color, very distinct. I am trying to figure out why the color change? I did eat 5 white powdered donuts last evening,,,wondering if that could have anything to do with it. I am somewhat of a hypochondriac so I am automatically assuming the worst. Could the donuts have anything to do with the sudden color change from Brown to very light tan/white?

Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 41 minutes later

Sudden change in the stool color to a very light color without any other signs and symptoms is most likely due to the white powdered donuts you had last evening.

I suggest you to just wait and watch for your stool color over next two days. If the color of your stool returns back to normal then there is nothing to worry.

If the light colored stools persist even after two days, then you need some blood tests like serum billirubin to rule out the organic causes of the stool discoloration.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.