Why did i find 8-10 inches hair in my rectum?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am a 25 year old male and during showering happened to pull a really long hair from inside my anus/rectum of about 8-10 inches. I know it was from inside because the feeling pulling it out was unmistakable. Could you tell me what and why this happened? If it is normal? It has happened twice already with quite some time in between both discoveries. Both times they were very long hairs, and I have short hair on my head, and I for sure could not have eaten hair especially that length.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 7 hours later

I have gone through it and I understand your concern.

Any substance coming out of the rectum is always ingested by mouth.

Human hair in this case (if it is truly hair) should have been taken by mouth accidentally.
Often it might be the chef's hair falling into it and goes unnoticed by both the parties, the one who serves and the one who consumes.

Alternatively, hair can form within the belly in a tumour called 'Dermoid cyst'. But for it to come out of the gut , there should be a communication between the two which is highly unlikely.

As this has happened more than once and I am sure it will be the same source.

Either way, this is not a thing of concern and will not require medical attention.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. Should you have any more concerns, I will be available to address them.