Why did I have stomach pain during pregnancy?

Hi, my name is XXXXXXX & I'm 36y old with 2 children & currently pregnant with my 3rd,24weeks. I was admitted to hospital the other night with severe pain on my right side below my breast. It made it very difficult to breath in & out. It was just like the referred pain i had after my c/section with my 2nd child. I informed the doctors of this . They took bloods,x-ray & ultrasound. They have since called me back as I have an enlarged spleen so they have taken more bloods. the pain seems to have gone away after 2 days. What could be the causes please.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

Since the pain has gone away you need not get tensed.

One of the most common causes of stomach pain during pregnancy is UTI). Usually, this condition gives rise to pain and discomfort in the lower abdomen and pelvic area.

Other common cause could be due to gas and acidity. During such time, you should take a fast relief antacid, did you try that? If yes and got relieved this is most probably acidity.

Some of the rare causes of upper abdominal pain during pregnancy is preeclampsia which occurs during the second or third trimester. Preeclampsia is a condition that occurs when the pregnant woman is suffering from hypertension or high blood pressure and also due to the presence of protein in the urine. So it is better to get the urine,liver enzymes and blood tested along with your blood pressure.

Since you have already done the blood tests you can check if you have done the above tests.

You have mentioned enlarged spleen you will have to get tested for bacterial and viral infections. But enlarged spleen causes pain in the left upper abdomen and not right, so many not be related too.

Hope I have answered your query,i will be available for follow up should you have anymore concern.