Why did I faint after eating too many cherries and was unresponsive with my eyes open?

i ate a lot of fresh cherries and fainted. my eyes were wide open i was told, but i was totally unresponsive. what happened to me ?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Fainting after eating most commonly results from a condition known as postprandial hypotension. This is a condition where the blood pressure drops suddenly after eating something in bulk as the blood flow is diverted to the stomach and intestines to help with the process of digestion. Because the brain and the rest of the body still need blood and oxygen, the blood vessels usually constrict and the heart speeds up slightly to maintain blood flow to the brain. In a person with postprandial hypotension, the blood vessels fail to constrict and the blood pressure drops, resulting in fainting after eating.
Such fainting spells are more commonly seen in dehydration, anaemia, diabetes, parkinson's disease, etc.
It is better to see your doctor to rule out more serious causes of fainting such as an underlying heart problem.
To avoid this problem, eat slowly. Avoid taking alcohol and high carbohydrate meals. You can take caffeine after meals to stimulate your heart.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.