Why causes hole in penis skin which hurts?

Hi, A few days ago I woke up from my sleep and discovered a discomfort on my penis. It felt when I woke up that it got caught in the opening of my boxer briefs. Anyway, I proceeded and closely looked at it and discovered that there was a hole in my skin on the back side of the penis at the very top near the urine hole, which I am guessing is called the penis frenulum. The hole is about 2-3mm wide and is right at the top. The frenulum is still fully attached but without greater support as before when it was fully in tact. Is the hole normal? I haven't really closely looked at it before in the past so there might be a possibility that the hole was already there in the first place. It hurt quite a bit that morning and the following day but it has been about 4-5 days now and the pain has slowly subdued. Will the hole fully heal back together or what would be the plan of attack in this matter? Many thanks
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, monitor clean and only Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you. Reviewing the image and the information you have provided, there was most likely a small tear that happened and caused this hole. I will not want to imagine that it was there before or at worst, it was not that big. There is no big deal. Keep it clean and monitor over a few more days. It should gradually heal and become totally sealed. Even if a hole should remain, it will not cause any inconveniences for now. Should anything unexpected like complications resulting from wound healing occur like scarring, we always have an option of doing circumcision if you have no problem with this. In all, be calm. It shall be okay. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Why causes hole in penis skin which hurts? 4 hours later
Thanks for your input. I'm guessing the healing will take quite a while for the skin to fill in completely. What time line am I looking at? About 4 weeks? I will refrain from any sexual activity for now and keep it as still as possible...
Brief Answer: About 2weeks Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. This should normally take about 2weeks. That's also a great idea to refrain from every sexual manipulation and always maintain it clean. If anything like pus should start draining fro it, I will strongly suggest that you consider getting it re-evaluated for possible prescription of antibiotics. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.