Why can I not sustain erection while having sex?

hi, i am male, 25, working professional. last few months i have noticed that now it is difficult for me to sustain erection while performing sex with my partner. I get erection easily but while performing, i tend to loose it without ejaculation and the erection is not hard enough. Am i suffering from ED? i have sex once a month nowdays due to same problem. i use to masturbate for last 7-8 years and presently i masturbate once a week. i smoke 6-7 cigarettes a day and drink alcohol once a week. my job is not stressful but i dont get time to exercise. after masturbation i get heavily tired and feel headache and sleepy. no diabetes, no medication, no kids. Also, I suffer with excessive perspiration. what is the problem with me? if its ED, what are the reasons? how to improve my sex life? have i lost it due to masturbation during previous years?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 3 hours later
Dear Vishwa,

You are certainly suffering from erectile dysfunction and your problem is maintaining erection. This has nothing to do with your mastrubation habit and long term mastrubation does not lead to any problems.

I am not very clear about your excessive perspiration; is it a new development?
What is your physique like?
Do you have recently lost weight or increased appetite?
You certainly need to stop Smoking. Smoking can lead to ED.

You should get investigated with blood glucose fasting, lipid profile and may be thyroid profile also.
You need to organize your life better. Early to bed and early to rise. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Cut down on junk food. Go for at least 20 minutes of morning walk.
Wear loose clothes and use boxers as underwears. No underwears while sleeping.

Kindly get back with investigations.

Dr Rajiv goel.
Follow-up: Why can I not sustain erection while having sex? 28 hours later
hello sir, following r d results of tests u advised
blood sugar (f) --- 111 mg/dl
serum cholestrol -- 156 mg/dl
serum triglycerides - 132 mg/dl
HDL-cholestrol --- 34 mg/dl
LDL-cholestrol --- 95.6 mg/dl
VLDL-cholestrol --- 26.4 mg/dl

as far as thyroid is concerned that was not possible at the hospital as currently i am staying at a remote location.

1. excessive perspiration is not a new development and i can remember since last 8 years its there. is it normal? is it linked to ED?

2. my physique is normal and not at all bulky. i am 6'1" tall and weigh 92 kg. i consider myself fit and athletic because i am always interested in sports all the time. i used to play a lot in college 3 years back

3. my weight was 75 kg 3 years back in college and it has gradually increased to 92 kg and not a sudden development. rite now its constant for last 8-9 mnths

4. i do a shift job ie; 8 hrs shift any time a day and sometimes 12 hrs. so regularity of timing is never there and is not possible also

5. i dont eat any kind of junk food take generally a balanced diet

6. i am in a habit of sleeping without underwears since childhood and use only boxers as underwears

what are the reasons of ED and why me ?
what are the options left for me? what is medication required ?
is ED permanent ?? then what about my sex life ?
if not permanent then how much time is required to heal?

Thanks for writing back.

Perspiration is not related to ED.

The above blood tests are apparently normal without any physical examination.

The only apparent reason for ED in yourself is smoking. You should quit it. Try to lose some weight. A weight of 85kg is ideal and healthy.
You can start Tab. Neo twice daily after meal and before bed for 1 month.
ED is not permanent and you just quit smoking, lose weight and you shall start improving.

Hope this answers all your questions.
Follow-up: Why can I not sustain erection while having sex? 22 hours later
sir i have already started the process of quitting smoking and have reduced the no. of cigarettes largely but i can feel that it will take another month or 2 for me two completely quit smoking. kindly suggest me some temporary medication without any or mild side effects so that i can keep up myself with my partner for time being.

what is tab.neo ??
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 17 hours later
Dear Vishwas,

Ok continue to bring in more efforts to quit smoking.

Tab NEO is an herbal preparation used for premature ejaculation.

Urologist prefer to prescribe Tadalafil preparations on when needed basis 1 hr before intercourse. Since this is a prescription drug you need to get it from a local doctor.

All the best.