Why can I not feel the objects I touch or eat and drink?

my hands feel warm on contact and when i try to hold, grab something with my hands they feel weird - as if there was something in-between my hands and the object. Same goes for my face and mouth, i go to drink from a glass and even though i know the glass is there - it feels as if it wasn't - like a shield or something. It then goes away and it feels normal again. But, if i stop holding it for awhile and grab it again, it still feels very weird. Other symptoms are heaviness, almost numbness, like they fell asleep.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 37 minutes later

After going through the description provided by you, I feel that it could be due to:
1. Vitamin B12 and/or Folate Deficiency
2. It could also be due to the side-effects of Amphetamine (Adderall).

Vitamin B12 and/or Folate Deficiency is more common in strict vegans. In this the nerves will not have enough availability of Vitamin B12 and Folate for its functioning. The peripheral nerves of the limbs, that is nerves of tip of fingers and toes are commonly affected first. The simple test for this is serum Vit B12 and Folate levels. You may also get a X-ray of cervical spine to check for any nerve compression. If there is any deficiency, Multi-vitamin pill twice a day with food will help you. If the improvement is slow or does not occur you may have to go for injectabe Vit.B complex.

Similar symptoms may occur as side-effects of Adderall. Feeling of weakness (asthenia), dizziness, dryness of mouth may occur. It would be better to discuss with your psychiatrist about these symptoms.

Hope this answers your query. In case of doubts I am available for follow ups.