Why are my stools are black in color?

Question
Hi Doctory, from yesterday my motion are in black colour.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Black coloured stools can be due to a variety of reasons which include iron ingestion, bleeding in the upper GI tract, anti-coagulant overdose amongst other reasons.

As I believe that more information can help a physician, please answer the following questions:

a. Are you currently receiving any medication?
b. Do you have any other medical illnesses?
c. Do you suffer from any burning pain in the abdomen or chest? Is it related with meals?
d. Do you have any other symptoms like vomiting of blood, fatigue or swelling of the feet ?
e. Do you take alcohol?
f. Have you ever received any blood or blood products?

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Why are my stools are black in color? 2 hours later
. Are you currently receiving any medication? - YES Ferrous sulpate with folic acid
b. Do you have any other medical illnesses? - little stomach ache for last few days
c. Do you suffer from any burning pain in the abdomen or chest? Is it related with meals? sometime right chest pains slightly. not related to meals.
d. Do you have any other symptoms like vomiting of blood, fatigue or swelling of the feet ? no
e. Do you take alcohol? no
f. Have you ever received any blood or blood products? no.

I have not got mensist this month, 4 days have gone by till i have not got it. consultant provided mentioned medicine to stop the pregnancy which i dont want to conceive now since i have 1 1/2 years baby.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 34 minutes later

Thanks for reverting.

The black stools that you currently have are a side effect of take the tablets as before.

Further, please consult your gynaecologist if you do not get your period within a week's time. She can then order a urine pregnancy test to confirm the pregnancy.

In case you have conceived and do not wish to continue the pregnancy, there are several medical and surgical options available. Both options are safe and effective and can be prescribed only after a complete evaluation has been done.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.