Why are my liver enzyme rising?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
My liver enzymes are rising but it's only the ast/alt levels. They are at 144/156 right now. I'm worried, what could this be? Is it cancer?
Posted Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in

Considering the fact that you have fatty liver, raised AST/ALT would point to some form of liver parenchyma insult

AST/ALT are sensitive markers of liver disease or injury

Though they can raise in issue like muscle damage

If you have any other symptoms or signs do get back to me with the same

Any liver disease even cancer can raise these markers but you need to have some clinical correlation before you stamp a diagnosis

Hope this helps
Wishing you a very healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Why are my liver enzyme rising? 3 hours later
What are the chances or signs they are cancer? Should I worry. Is an MRI or ultrasound effective in finding tumors or ca, which is prefered?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back

Describing symptoms and signs of any particular disease is out of scope of any online forum

In case of concern you may go for an ultrasound scan which will be safe cost effective and result oriented

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of doubts