Ask a Urologist   »  

Why are antibiotics not treating urinary tract infection?

8 weeks ago i had unprotected sex. about 2 weeks later, i felt like i had a uti. i took cipro. no change. 10 days ago i took 2 grams of azithromycin,again, no change. still feel lower abdominal pain/pressure, urge to urinate, some periodic vaginal and anal mild itching. no discharge, i did not have anal sex. why havent the antibiotics worked? shouldnt that range have covered any bacterial infection? i am going to an std cinic in the morning, but if it isnt std and it is uti will they see that in my urine and prescribe the proper atibiotic? i want to feel better...and no, i am not sexually active right now.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I completely understand your frustration with not feeling completely better after taking treatments which would have cleared most typical UTIs as well as typical causes of STDs such as chlamydia and gonorrhea. It is remotely possible that you encountered a Cipro.

I am glad to hear you will be going to have testing done. I am doubting this is an STD. One other possible cause of the discomfort might be something like trichomonas or possible bacterial vaginosis. These are both usually treated with metronidazole - a different antibiotic. I think a complete STD screen would be a fine idea - if for no other reason that to set your mind at ease. A urinalysis will also be able to tell us if there is a bacteria there while a urine culture which takes a couple of days to complete will tell us which bacteria it might be.

The last thing which you might benefit from would be a pelvic exam - yes not a comfortable exam but for completeness sake might be necessary to help you feel normal again.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be both helpful as well as reassuring. If you have any additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga